Sunday, June 3, 2012

Take me out to the Ballpark!



Forget the peanuts and Cracker Jacks, I do care if I never get back!

If you know me, then you know that aside from watching my kids participate in their various activities, I also love to bake. Nothing pleases me more than to bake for others. Yesterday our oldest son started off a weekend long baseball tournament with a triple header. Seeing as his first game was at 8am, and it was a chilly morning,  I decided to bake up a fresh batch of lemon poppy seed muffins for the fans in the stands.  Since Tim Horton's is a staple not only at hockey arenas, but also at ball diamonds, the muffins were the perfect accompaniment to start off our day of watching baseball.

As the muffins were consumed, talk began about what we should bring for the next few games. Of course there would be sunflower seeds, but how could we step it up a notch? Seeing as we are not at Tiger Stadium, and my husband is the convener of the league, libations are frowned upon. Perhaps though, there is another way, albeit at bit bush league.

Since we had just enough time in between games for me to put on my apron, I decided to step up to the plate and volunteered to make a batch of special, adult only cupcakes to bring to the night game.

I came across this recipe quite by accident and loved the idea of booze infused baked goods.Why hadn't I thought of this before?! I got out my mixing bowls, the flour, the sugar and for a change, headed to the liquor cabinet for a very special ingredient.  These are known as "Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes" but after this weekend they became known as "Throw Me A Curve ball Cupcakes." Whip up a batch of these and you've got  a whole new ballgame.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup Irish Cream Liqueur (plus more for sipping!)

~Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
~Line muffin tin with paper liners.
~Sift, or whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
~In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
~Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
~Add a little of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the Irish Cream, mixing well after each addition.
~Beat until smooth.

~Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full and bake for 18-20 minutes.
~Let cool before icing.

Irish Cream Icing:

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tbsp Irish Cream Liqueur (still more for sipping!)
2 cups icing sugar

~To the butter, add a little of the Irish Cream followed by a little of the icing sugar mixing thoroughly after each addition. Continue doing so until you achieve a smooth and creamy texture.

~Ice cupcakes and soon they will be long gone!

These cupcakes bring new meaning to the quote "Let's play two!"

Home run!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope my words have helped or inspired you today. Hold on and lean in.