Wednesday, September 19, 2012

An apple for the teacher...




School is now in full swing and I must say that on a good day it leaves me feeling very fulfilled, albeit a little overwhelmed.  One of my professors said that this year will be the equivalent of trying to drink water from a fire hydrant. So far, I can see the wisdom in that analogy.  Suffice it to say, this is going to be a very busy year.

I have been fortunate enough to have met some wonderful people and even though I didn't set out to do so, I have made some new friends.  With all that is going on in my life besides school, I feel very fortunate to have met them. They may not realize it yet, but their support is going to carry me through this troublesome year that lies ahead.

Emotional baking has seen me through some tough times.  This past weekend, my baking took on yet another purpose ~ homework avoidance.  With assignments looming in the not too far distance and chapter upon chapter of readings to complete, I turned not to my books, but to my apron and mixing bowl.  Being that it is apple season, and the fact that I was baking with new teachers in mind I decided to find a recipe that would incorporate the two.

These muffins were a hit at our first unofficial study group. I'm sure it will be the first of many.  I'll be sure to keep my apron handy!

 
An apple for the teacher muffins:
 
 
You will need:
 
2 cups granulated sugar (or 1 1/2 if you prefer them to be less sweet)
2 eggs
1 cup oil
1 tbsp vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
3 cups peeled & diced apples ( about 3 medium apples)
1/2 cup brown sugar for topping
 
To make:
 
~ pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
~ line muffin tin with paper liners.
~ cream together sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla.
~ in a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
~ add dry ingredients to creamed ingredients and mix until just combined.
*note: the batter will be thick!
~ add diced apples and stir until incorporated.
~ fill paper liners 3/4 full
~ sprinkle with brown sugar
~ bake for 20-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
 
 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.