Saturday, August 17, 2013

Grateful Awareness

    


   Some days you never know what lies ahead of you when you wake up and get out of bed.  Perhaps that is a good thing.  If we knew what fate had in store for us there would be times that we'd choose to pull the covers over our head instead of rising up to face the day.  Today would have been a good day for me to choose to pull the covers up and nestle back into the warm embrace of my bed. 

    While it may not have been a stellar day, it certainly taught me something about myself and the resiliency of my family. It would seem that no matter how fortunate we are, we never seem to take the time to stop and give thanks. It's not until something dire happens that we actually pause and reflect on what we have and stand to lose. 

     I believe that in our daily lives we need to recognize that it is not being happy that makes us grateful, but being grateful that makes us happy.  Today I am very grateful for the health and happiness of my family. Throughout this tumultuous day I've been surprised by, and appreciative of the people around me; strangers willing to help, friends coming by for support and family just being there for each other.  For all of these things I am grateful.  It's something I need to try harder to do; pause and be mindful and thankful for what I have.  Each moment of grateful awareness reveals the wonders that surrounds us and gratitude turns what we have into enough.

      
Double Chocolate Zucchini "Muffins"
(I use the term "muffin" but in all honesty these could be cupcakes, they are that decadent!)

This recipe is dedicated to the friend who continues to supply me with fresh picked zucchini...
for that I am grateful.


Ingredients

1 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shredded raw zucchini


Directions:

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  • Line muffin tin with 12 paper liners
  • Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together in a medium sized bowl, stir until well combined
  • Add in the chocolate chips and mix
  • In a separate, large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, both sugars, and vanilla until well combined then add in d in the zucchini and mix until combined
  • Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture until just combined
  • Spoon evenly into the prepared muffin tin
  • Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
  • Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the tin
  • Place muffins on a wire cooling rack to continue cooling

*Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree that it is so important to stop and think of the things we should be grateful for. Things sometimes get so hectic that we forget to do so. Thank you for the reminder and I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marie! I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I am grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look absolutely amazing! I'm so happy that there is zucchini in the recipe because it more then makes up for the double chocolate. Right!?

    Thanks for all your support and linking up to my weekly BlogLovin Hop (http://www.journeysofthezoo.com/search/label/BlogLovin%20Hop). So nice to always see you.

    Besos, Sarah
    Blogger at Journeys of The Zoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.