It's that time of year again. The time when the warm summer sunshine has turned our gardens into a bountiful harvest. While I don't have a garden of my own, I am fortunate enough to have some friendly suppliers who are more than happy to have me turn their crop into something sweet.
This year I decided to try out a new recipe and combine zucchini with blueberries and one of my most favourite baking ingredients - cinnamon. The results were gobbled up! There are several ingredients in this recipe that will make you feel good about eating these muffins. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat eggs, applesauce, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy
- Place grated zucchini onto some paper towels and pat out extra moisture
- Add zucchini to bowl or mixer and stir until just combined
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
- Mix until well combined
- Gently stir in blueberries
- Spread batter evenly among lined muffin cups or pour into two greased loaf pans
- For streusel, add all ingredients to a bowl and cut with a pastry cutter, or two forks, until small crumbs form
- Sprinkle evenly over tops of muffins or loaves
- Bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes for muffins or 50 minutes for loaves, or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Cool before slicing and serving loaves
I made these for my sister in law's birthday. She is expecting,
so I tried to balance the cupcakes with something 'healthy!'