Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Summer Harvest

  
   It's that time of year again. The time when the warm summer sunshine has turned our gardens into a bountiful harvest.  While I don't have a garden of my own, I am fortunate enough to have some friendly suppliers who are more than happy to have me turn their crop into something sweet.  

     This year I decided to try out a new recipe and combine zucchini with blueberries and one of my most favourite baking ingredients - cinnamon. The results were gobbled up!  There are several ingredients in this recipe that will make you feel good about eating these muffins. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.   



Zucchini Blueberry Streusel Muffins
*adapted from allrecipes.ca
Makes enough for 24 muffins or 2 loaves of bread

For the batter:

3 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup oil
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini 
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (no need to thaw)

For the streusel:

1/4 cup butter (1/2 a stick), cold
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon


Directions:

  •  In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat eggs, applesauce, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy
  •  Place grated zucchini onto some paper towels and pat out extra moisture
  •  Add zucchini to bowl or mixer and stir until just combined
  •  Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
  •  Mix until well combined
  •  Gently stir in blueberries
  •  Spread batter evenly among lined muffin cups or pour into two greased loaf pans
  •  For streusel, add all ingredients to a bowl and cut with a pastry cutter, or two forks, until small crumbs form
  •  Sprinkle evenly over tops of muffins or loaves
  •  Bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes for muffins or 50 minutes for loaves, or until a toothpick comes out clean
  •  Cool before slicing and serving loaves

I made these for my sister in law's birthday. She is expecting, 
so I tried to balance the cupcakes with something 'healthy!' 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.