Thursday, January 29, 2015

It Takes Two...



   Two ingredients that is. I kid you not.  You can make this impressive looking tasty little treat by using only two ingredients (three if you want to get fancy) and they require very little effort. What more can you ask for in a dessert? 

   I came across the recipe on Pinterest and I have to admit, I was skeptical.  Could something so simple really taste good?  I decided to throw caution to the wind and grabbed my apron and the Nutlella jar. Fortunately, I had some ready made pie crust in the fridge (I used Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust) so I was good to go. No shopping required. I began to think this was too good to be true.

You will need:
  • 1 jar of Nutella
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust
  • 1 egg (optional)
Directions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
  • Unroll the pie crust onto a sheet of parchment paper
  • Using a 2 inch round cookie cutter cut circles out of the dough and then roll the scraps into a ball 
  • Gently knead together the scraps, roll out the dough and make more circles
  Alas, this recipe called for something I did not have... a round cookie cutter.  I decided to improvise by using the top of a mason jar. It worked surprisingly well!


  • To give your finished pastry more shine and to aid in browning, brush the dough with an egg wash (simply beat an egg with a fork in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to apply it to your dough)
  • *The egg wash will also help to seal your edges and will moisture seal the bottom of your crust so the filling doesn't make it soggy
  • To form a square out of your round cut out, pinch the opposite sides of the circle together. It will look like this...

Turn the dough and do the same to the remaining sides so that it looks like this...



  • Be sure to pinch the corners firmly so that they stay closed while baking ( I tucked my corners around each side of the square)
  • With your fingers, open up the centre of each square and place a dollop of Nutella inside (I found using two butter knives the best way to do this)
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the dough is golden brown 
  • Cool and serve or store in an air tight container (be warned, they won't last long!)

    If you want to get really fancy, you can even dress these little bites of heaven up by serving them with whipped cream and strawberries... yum!



    Or you can simply dust them with icing sugar ...


The bottom line? This recipe worked and the result was impressive and delicious!
 Thank you Made From Pinterest for posting this recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.