Our summer is about to get hit with a curve ball... baseball season has started. I have to admit, I do love it; the sound of the ball hitting the bat, the cheers from the stands, the sunflower seeds and the sheer joy on the faces of my kids as they run the bases.
With both boys playing on travel teams and my husband being the Vice President of the association while also coaching, it's sure to be a busy summer. We'll often be going in many directions at once. That means I have to have a plethora of grab and go meals and snacks on hand. These muffins are great for breakfast on the run. Lemons and blueberries together equal spring, perfect for the start of the season. The yogurt makes them moist without having to use oil so they are a healthier choice to grab on the go.
With that said, it's time for me to think about what I can make for dinner that is fast and somewhat healthy. Now, if only there were dinner muffins. Hmmm..... I may have to investigate that!
Until then, try these lemon blueberry muffins. They're not quite peanuts and Cracker Jacks, but they are delicious!
You will need:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup yogurt (plain or flavoured - I've used peach and vanillia & both were great)
1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a muffin tin with 12 liners
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together
- Mix in egg and vanilla, followed by lemon zest and lemon juice
- Mix until just combined
- Mix in salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour
- Add yogurt and mix until smooth
- Stir in blueberries
- Divide batter among prepared liners, filling each 2/3 full
- Press extra blueberries into the tops of batter and generously sprinkle with granulated sugar and cinnamon
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool
- Store in airtight container or freeze for a later date
Thanks to 'Baked by Rachel' for inspiring this recipe.