Tuesday, May 28, 2013

That's the way the muffin crumbles...

 
     I've mentioned before that I have difficulty persuading any member of my family, myself included, to eat a banana that is even slightly brown.  A simple freckle and that piece of fruit has no chance of being consumed unless I transform it into a baked good or we get a pet monkey. Haven't you always wanted a monkey?! I'd sooner stop buying bananas altogether.
 
     Fortunately I have many recipes that turn unwanted bananas into desirable snacks.  This recipe is one that I'll use over and over again. It's that good! I tweaked the original recipe a bit by adding nutmeg and used applesauce instead of oil. The results were gobbled up in no time, telling me that I need to go out and buy more bananas and hope that no one eats them before they turn brown.
 
    Why is it that when I buy bananas with the hope that my family will eat them they don't, and when I buy bananas with the hope that they don't eat them they do?  I guess that's the way the muffin crumbles!
 

Banana Crumble Muffins

You will need:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3 bananas, mashed
1/4  cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract



Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
  • Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers
  • In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
  • In another large bowl, beat together bananas, sugars, egg, applesauce and vanilla
  • Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened
  • Evenly scoop batter into prepared muffin cups

For the Crumb Topping:

1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter


 
To make the crumb topping:
  •  In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon
  •  Cut in butter until evenly distributed and crumbly in texture
  •  Sprinkle topping over muffins and press down lightly
 Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

*I made mini muffins this time around. If you do the same, just reduce the baking time to 13-15 minutes.

 
enjoy!
 
 
Thanks to My Baking Addiction for inspiring this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.