Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A cupcake for your thoughts...

    



     When I started writing this blog I wrote it for myself alone. It was a way to express my thoughts through a creative outlet. I have always loved to read. Add to that the fact that I've spent all of my adult life working in some form of a library and I guess writing was a natural progression. I am always amazed when I read a really good book. I often wonder how an author creates an idea and breathes life into it. How do they infuse such vivid detail and emotion into a novel? So much so that when I am done reading I mourn the loss of the characters I have come to know and care for.


      I have been inspired by the many books I've read.  Through them I have traveled the world. I have seen the most amazing sights and tasted the most delicious food.  Books have awarded me many a journey of the senses. While I am an avid reader, I have never considered myself to be a writer. Not for one minute did I think that anyone else would read this blog, let alone enjoy it. It was never my intention to garner an audience. Somehow though, people have discovered my little piece of the World Wide Web and have been reading my musings on a recurring basis. Largely due to the wonders of social media I have readers in Canada and the U.S.; most of whom I am positive are my family and friends. What amazes me though  is that I have also acquired the interest of readers in the following countries; France, Russia, Venezuela, Bahrain, Germany, the U.K., Ireland and the Philippines! I am humbled and bewildered.

      I recently read a perfect analogy by author Beth Harbison.  She said "Writing is like baking cupcakes, you're trying to make something from the raw. Like with cupcakes it's flour and eggs and stuff, and with books it's ideas and words. The end result is the same though, you want people to eat them up."  Now that I know people are actually reading my reverie, I feel the need to post not only more regularly, but with enhanced mindfulness of my audience.  No longer can I just fill the page with mindless contemplation.  I realize now that what Beth Harbison says is true. I don't want people to merely read my blog; I want them to eat it up! So please, try my recipes and enjoy my stories. Feel free to leave me a comment; I'd love to hear from you!  This blog has a renewed purpose and I hope it makes your life as sweet as it makes mine.

       This recipe is one that I made for my very special niece on her 20th birthday.  She, along with many others in my life, continues to inspire me and make me feel so very blessed.  Enjoy!



Not Quite All Grown Up Cupcakes
(after all, you're never too old
for peanut butter and chocolate!)

 
You will need:

  • 1 box white or yellow cake mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup mini M&M's

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.

  •  Sift cake mix into a small bowl, breaking up any lumps, and set aside
  •  In a large bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract
  •  Stir in cake mix until batter becomes smooth
  •  Fold in M&M's being careful not to over mix because the coloring from the candies will dye the cake
  •  Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean

Peanut Butter Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2-4 tbsp. milk
  • Extra M&M's for decorating
In a large bowl: 
  •  Beat peanut butter and butter until smooth
  •  Add vanilla extract and slowly add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time  
  •  With the mixer on low add milk 1 tbsp at a time until the frosting becomes smooth and fluffy
  •  Add more powdered sugar if needed or more milk until you reach the desired consistency
  •  Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes an top with extra candies

 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.