Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Oh the places you'll go...



“Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!”
~ Dr. Seuss 


     Graduation. A time of celebration and reflection as the future and its endless possibilities are contemplated.  This year there are numerous graduates in my family.  We have a son graduating from elementary school and going off to high school. Our nephew is graduating from high school and heading off to University.  As well, there are three graduates from the Faculty of Education,  myself included.  My niece and brother in law will join me tomorrow as we celebrate the completion of the Bachelor of Education program. 

     For me graduation signifies a new beginning. This past year has taught me things about myself that I could have learned in no other way.  It taught me that I have an ongoing desire not only to teach, but to learn.  It taught me that I have a stronger will and more discipline than I had suspected.  Perhaps the best thing it taught me was that I have family and friends whose love and support is always there for me.  That alone is worth more to me than any diploma or acclamation. 

     Although this past year has been gruelling in more ways than one, I feel that I have emerged not only wiser, but stronger.  I have survived setbacks that have taught me things about myself and my ability that I was not previously aware of.  It has been said that you will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity.  I believe that such knowledge is a true gift, especially if it has been earned through hard work and determination.  This knowledge, now that I have it, will be worth more to me than any degree I have ever earned.

     So as I venture onto the stage tomorrow to receive my diploma I know that my family and friends will be there to once again support me; whether they are there in person or in spirit.  What they won't realize is that they are earning that certificate right along with me for I couldn't have done it without them. 






Oh the places you'll go cupcakes

I made these for my niece who will be graduating with me from the Faculty of Education tomorrow.  She enjoyed them and I hope you will too.
 
For the cupcakes you will need:
 
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup buttermilk
*To make your own buttermilk put 1 Tbsp of vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make one cup and stir. Let stand for 5 min.
3/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
 
Directions:
 
~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners
~ Sift cake mix into a bowl breaking up any lumps and set aside
~ In a large bowl, whisk eggs, applesauce, buttermilk, sour cream, vanilla extract and cinnamon
~ Add cake mix and stir until smooth
~ Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean


For the chocolate ganache you will need:
 
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup whipping cream
 
Directions:
~ Place the chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl with whipping cream
~ Microwave for 20 seconds, remove and stir
~ Continue to microwave in small increments until smooth and creamy
~ Dip the tops of your cooled cupcakes into the ganache and let set
 
 
 
For the frosting you will need:
 
8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
 
Frosting Instructions:

~ With an electric mixer cream butter until fluffy
~ Slowly add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, alternating with the milk and vanilla  and mix well
~ Add more powdered sugar for a thicker frosting and more milk for a thinner frosting depending on your taste
~ Add food coloring if desired (in this case I chose blue and yellow our school colours)
~ Pipe icing onto cupcakes and garnish with a mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, a square of Hershey's chocolate secured with a dollop of frosting and decorated with a frosting tassel 




enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. So cute and Congratulations to all the Gravelle/Wasyluk family members on their achievements!!
    "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Cathi !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.