Today marks the last day of elementary school for our son. He woke up today feeling both happy and sad. On the one hand, he is thrilled to be finished school for the summer. On the other hand, he is feeling pensive about leaving a school that he has attended since he was 4 years old.
It will be tough to say good bye to the teachers that have touched his life in so many ways. What makes this day somber for me is the fact that he is our last child attending that school. My son is not the only one saying good bye. I too must bid adieu to the staff that has made elementary school an enjoyable and educational experience for my children.
As a thank you, I decided to bake up a batch of decadent cupcakes. Since teachers often put in long, thankless hours and spend many late nights preparing engaging and well planned lessons, coffee is a necessity. When pairing coffee with the thought of summertime, the delicious, decadent Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino came to mind. While I can't possibly supply an entire staff with Frappuccinos from Starbucks, I certainly can bake up a replica!
These cupcakes serve up the rich, satisfying taste of chocolate and coffee topped with creamy, indulgent whipped frosting. Pure enjoyment - just the way a summer treat should be.
Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino Cupcakes
For The Cupcakes You Will Need:
1 box devil's chocolate cake mix
3-4 tbsp Starbucks coffee, black
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners
- Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract
- Stir in cake mix until batter becomes smooth
- Add coffee and stir again to combine
- Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 16-18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
For The Frappuccino Buttercream You Will Need:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup Starbucks coffee, black
1 tbsp milk
4 cups powdered sugar
Chocolate covered coffee beans
- Beat butter and coffee until smooth
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, alternating with milk until you reach your desired consistency
- If mixture becomes too thick, add more milk
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with chocolate covered coffee beans and sprinkle with cocoa powder
Thank you St. Pius Staff...
have a wonderful summer!