Monday, July 20, 2015

Do What Makes You Happy...


   I often get asked why I bake. More specifically, why I bake for no apparent reason.  It's a known fact that I don't need a special occasion to bake. I just do. And I like it. It may seem odd, or difficult to understand, but that's just me. I have finally reached an age where I no longer feel the need to explain myself. Wisdom comes with age they say. So does self awareness. Baking makes me happy. Giving my sweet treats away, even more so.  Recently I came across this quote that pretty much sums it up...


     My inspiration often comes from what is around me. Lately it has been the abundance of our summer harvest. Today it was fresh strawberries. I enjoyed these muffins, but even more so, I enjoyed sharing them with friends.

Strawberry Coffee Cake Muffins
*This recipe makes 12~18 muffins



For the muffins you will need:
  • 1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk 
  • 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries


Directions:
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
~ Line your muffin tins with pretty liners
~ In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar
~ Beat in the egg and the vanilla until combined
~ In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder & salt
~ Slowly add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and beat until combined
~ Gently fold in half of the diced strawberries
~ Scoop batter into liners until they are each half full
~ Top muffins with remaining diced strawberries


For the crumble you will need:
  • 1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, cold & cubed
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Directions:
~ In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients with a pastry cutter or a fork until a crumble forms
~ Sprinkle crumble generously over the strawberries and muffin mixture
~ Bake 18~20 minutes until golden brown


*note: these muffins are best consumed within a day or two as the fresh fruit makes them turn soggy quickly.


Thanks to Living Better Together for inspiring this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.