Sunday, July 26, 2015

When Life Gives You Zucchini...


    I recently posted on my Facebook page that a friend gave me a rather large zucchini from their garden. I asked for suggestions as to what I should bake with it and was both surprised and pleased at the many responses I received.  My friend Sarah gave me this one. It was handed down to her and is her go to recipe for zucchini. I decided to give it a try and I was not sorry I did. It got rave reviews from all of my family (5 out of 5 is hard to come by in this house!) and my co-workers enjoyed it as well. The recipe yields two loaves so it's perfect for sharing! Give it a try, you'll be glad you did!

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
You will need:
  • 1 stick of butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 4 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  •  1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups unpared zucchini, shredded
  • 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
  •  pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
  •  in a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy
  •  add in the oil, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and mix until combined and set aside
  •  in a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda  and salt
  •  add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and beat until just combined, do not overmix
  •  stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips


  • Pour mixture into two greased loaf pans and bake for 50 ~ 60 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean from the centre


  • allow loaves to cool completely before slicing
  • wrap bread in plastic wrap or store in an air tight container




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to read your comments and hear about what's happening in your kitchen.