I do. Really!
While baking is my passion, I can't whip up a batch of chocolate cupcakes and call it dinner. Well, at least not on a regular basis. Tonight I decided to try this recipe that I pinned on Pinterest (over a year ago!). I am currently kicking myself for not trying it sooner. It's that good. Two out of three kids approved, and in my house that's considered a winner. Not only that, it cooks up in one pot. One. I know, it sounds too good to be true. Trust me, I thought the same thing. It's not. Give it a try and you'll see for yourself.
- 12 ounces of spaghetti
- (How do you measure spaghetti you ask? I had the same question so I used Google to find this handy tip from Canadian Living.)
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 large sweet onion cut in julienne strips
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano leaves
- 2 large sprigs of fresh basil, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
~ Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle in the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle the olive oil on top.
~ Cover the pot and bring it to a boil.
~ Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all of the liquid evaporates, leaving approximately 1 inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot.
~ Stir several times to distribute the liquid and season to taste with salt and pepper.
~ Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
*Note: above is the recipe as it was posted on Pinterest. I used my creative licence and added a few extra ingredients. I tossed in a few handfuls of chopped mushrooms and zucchini before pouring in the vegetable broth. About 5 minutes before the the dish was done, I added in some cooked, sliced chicken breast that was leftover in our refrigerator. It made the dish a bit more hearty and tasted wonderful!
Thanks to MyFridgeFood for inspiring me!